Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Story . . . finally

So, Juliet is now three weeks old and as cute as ever! I thought it's about time I share her birth story/my labor experience. We are so happy to have her! Here it is:

The Saturday and Sunday before Juliet was born I was itching really bad. I had been itching for the past three weeks and just thought is was one of those weird pregnancy symptoms. I was itching pretty much all over, but my feet were the worst. Anyway, I ended up calling the midwife Sunday because it just was weird and was really bad. She told me to get an appointment on Monday even though I had one Tuesday. To make a long story shorter, I was dilated 4 cm on Monday and 85% effaced, but wasn't having any contractions that I could tell. I had blood work done to see if I had a rare liver condition that has an increase in stillbirths, but they told me they wouldn't get the results for 2-3 days. The next day, Tuesday, I was called by the other midwife and she told me that they did get one out of the two blood tests back and that I did in fact have the rare liver condition called Intraheptic Cholestasis of pregnancy. She said that they wanted to start me on Pitocin the next morning. I was really wanting to at least try a natural birth and knew that it would be very difficult if I was started on Pitocin. I decided to go in that day, Tuesday, and get my membranes stripped and see if that would help. Afterword, Justin and I went on a big long walk to see if things would get going. We started getting a little bit worried because we knew she was okay at that point, and we didn't want to be awake all night worrying whether she was okay or not and feeling for fetal movements. We just figured that it was better to have her here as soon as possible, so I called the midwife and asked if I could get started that night. She suggested we do a non-stress test and if there was anything even slightly wrong we would start me, but if not we would wait until morning. So I had the non-stress test, everything looked good, and I went home for the night. I started having contractions around 12 midnight and went to the hospital around 3am in labor. Around noon on Wednesday, the 25th they checked me and I was dilated 7 cm. It wasn't by any means comfortable, but I still felt like I could do it. An hour and a half later of super hard and strong contractions, I was feeling like "Okay, I am going to feel like I need to push soon. I have got to be dilated to a 9 or 10." The midwife checked me and I was still at 7 cm. At that point, I had had a few contractions that were so strong I even was worried about my heart giving out. I said "I need an epidural." And like my friend Adele said in her blog about her labor story, "bless that man!" He really was amazing. I am not just saying that because of the epidural, but I was extra hard because of my scoliosis, and if I ever need something done with an anesthiologist, I would want him to be the one to do it. I still felt the 4-5 contractions after having the epidural, because I was so far advanced into my contractions, but it did help my body relax a ton and I progressed really fast, pushed for only about 20 minutes and Juliet was born at 2:22 pm. So that's it. That was my story. What an experience! Juliet was worth every moment!

Here are some cute pictures of the little sweetheart :).




7 comments:

Chris and Heather said...

She looks like she is growing like a weed. They grow too fast. What a cute family picture.

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness she is beautiful! Congratulations you two!

Adele said...

I'm so glad you got it posted! Even though you told me all about it, I still wanted to read it! And yes... I did want to kiss my anesthesiologist, but I do hope that maybe with my next one I can do it without the epidural... We'll see! I'm so glad that she is here and she is absolutely beautiful!! Wish we lived closer!

Mark and Cheree said...

I am so glad you were able to fix the blog. It was so fun to read and to see the cute pictures of Juliet. I can't wait to hold her again. She is so dang cute!

Ashley Schill said...

what a cutie! I love the pictures you posted of her, especially the one sleeping . . .how precious. I bet you are loving every minute of being with her! I have been planning on calling for the last week but things have been so busy. I promise I will call soon, I want to hear how you guys have been since her birth and how you're adjusting to being a MOM (crazy!)

Annie and Berkeley said...

Melanie, she is so beautiful! Isn't it amazing how much love you can feel for your baby so instantly? I am so happy for you guys. I'm happy you were able to go into labor on your own and props to you for making it to 7 centimeters!! I made it to 4 and was ready to run through the halls to find the anesthesiologist. "Bless that man" is right.

Carly said...

Hey Melanie! Its Carly! How are you? Your little girl is darling! I have been thinking about you for a while now, and I just found your blog off Michelle's. My dad said that you are living in the ward again, and that your little girl is really cute! Our labor stories sound very similar...I was at an 8 for 5 hours before I got my epidural. I am hoping next time I will go really fast because I REALLY want a natural labor next time. We are coming to visit in July, hopefully we will be able to see you! Send me your email address (carlytrythall@hotmail.com) and I will invite you to my blog!